Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Nayland Suffolk

Share





4.40pm 6 miles in 48 minutes

Week to date mileage 6

Month to date mileage 72

Average weekly rate 31.5

Average Monthly rate 137

Year to Date 612

Life time 8390

Tonight I stopped at the village of Nayland in Suffolk which is just 5 miles from Colchester on the border of Essex. Driving from Colchester out on the A134 when you cross the River Stour you know you are in Suffolk. if you immeadiately turn right you arrive in the centre of Nayland.

I parked immeadiately and ran into the village which I don't think I have visited before but looks well worth returning to. Some beautiful houses many dating back to the early 17th century and the reign of James 1st. The White Hart Inn is a 16th century pub which became a coachinghouse and more recently is now owned by Michel Roux and is a restaurant.

The village reminds a lot of Bures. After running around the village I decided to follow the Stour Valley Path from Nags Farm which entailed crossing the main road. However once on the path you are taken into a world that Constable know and loved and painted.

The path is wonderfully maintained along by the river and I only wish I had had more time. I ran past Wiston Mill where I could here the sound of a weir. There is a pathway that takes you through the grounds of Wiston Hall though I decided against this and instead continued on the Stour Valley path over the river and through a lovely wood and into open fields. Just before Little Horkesley in Essex I decided to retrace my steps back to Nayland. A wonderful run in beautiful countryside and a lovely village.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark