Sunday, May 28, 2006

Fornham St Martin Drifts

Share





8.00am 11 miles in 1 hour 28 minutes 13 seconds

Week to date mileage 31.4

Month to date mileage 130

Average weekly rate 31.7

Average Monthly rate 138

Year to Date 670

Life time 8448

I set of to do a fairly long run and I had in mind a footpath I have seen at Forham St martin but never taken nearly opposite the church. The footpath is called the drifts and I really wasn't sure how long this would be.

As it turned out the drifts is a fairly long path it starts in between houses next to Fornham House and you soon pass over the A14 by bridge. There is still some evidence here in the hedgerows of the former railway line which I think ran into Bury's other passenger station which was at Eastgate.

After crossing the bridge you continue on a narrow concrete road which is not open to vehicles apart from local residents and farm machinery. The path is very straight and passes 3-4 flint stone cottages at Hall farm. When you reach the Carr Plantation there is a deep water lake and you turn left here uphill on to Clay Drift Track. Here I was surrounded by endless fields of potatoes. Eventually you emerge from the drifts at a little wood called Conyers plantation on the Barton Bottom B1106 road.

At this point I was unsure whether to to go right or left so instead I did neither and retraced my steps. Having looked at the map next time if I turn left and right I can visit Timworth Village. I returned back to Fornham and took the footpath down School Lane which runs along the back of some houses before emerging in Fornham All Saints.

By this point I had used up my time and energy and decided to return home feeling satisfied that I had explored 2 new paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark