Friday, December 09, 2005

Cullum Road/Ramada Hotel and Newmarket Rd Bury St Edmunds

Share
















5.30pm 5.4 miles in 42 minutes .

Year to date mileage 1236

Month to date 40 miles

Average miles per month 110

Average weekly rate 25.2

Week to date 33

Weather: Dry cool.

I repeated Tuesday's run and improved my time again for this course. I was jet propelled listening to the Ramones on my MP3 player.

The photo above will be familiar to locals as the welcome sign as you arrive in Bury from Horringer. You will see Bury is twined with two places Compiegne and Kevelaer. I have never had any involvement my self in twinning and it generally has a bad name I think. I would imagine a lot of people think that it has provided free foreign trips for councilors.

The objectives of twinning are very laudable but I don't think they ever involve that many people from all parts of the community. Twinning arrangements are supposed to help with the exchange of different cultural ideas and help form friendships. I would imagine this has only worked at a very superficial level for a small band of people.

I may be totally wrong on this but I am not aware if it is has been successful for Bury. Anyway aware or know of a twinning arrangement that has been successful? Have you been involved in a twinning arrangement?

Bury was twined with Compiegne in 1967 which is in the Oise District of France fairly near to Paris. It is the town where the armistice which ended the First World War was signed

In 1981, Bury was twined with Kevelaer which is a German town near to the Dutch borders between the Rivers Maas (Holland) and Rhine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark