Saturday, November 26, 2005

Lackford, Suffolk

Share




















10am 4 miles in 33 minutes.

Year to date mileage 1181

Month to date 92 miles

Average miles per month 109

Average weekly rate 25.0

Weather:Cool, sunshine and showers


Lackford is about 6 miles from Bury St Edmunds out on the Mildenhall Road. I parked up on a side road in a fairly modern housing development. I set of on my run towards the church. The church of St Laurence is really quite impressive the tower dates from 1350 so there is nearly 700 years of history here.

I followed a footpath sign which took me along the back of the modern housing development before this ended back on the main Mildenhall Road. So I crossed over and headed along the road towards Cavenham. I quickly spotted another footpath which was very muddy across farm land owned by Lackford Estates. I was tempted to climb up a small mound to see what was on the over side . It turned out to be a man made lake or reservoirs presumably for water storage for the farm. I returned on the same route back to the car.

I suppose Lackford is now most well known for its Lakes which were established on old gravel workings next to the River Lark. It has been popularised by support from Bill Oddie a well known ornithologist and former member of the Goodies. It is a great place to see all kinds of birds but particularly the kingfisher.

Suffolk's Pride

But come, my county, let me build thy claim Upon a base of more enduring fame, that thou hast earn'd thyself by art and toil. First Honours in the culture of the soil That prime of occupations and the best , Ordain'd divinely and divinely blest, That peaceful life which Patriarchs employ'd, Which Kings have lov'd and more than Kings enjoy'd. Here SUFFOLK, is thy theme for glory - here For honorable pride the lawful sphere. Then rest your fame, friends on your faithful ploughs, For here the staff of life abundant grows, And blesses him that reaps and him that sows.

Robert Hughman, extract from Suffolk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark