Friday, September 09, 2005

Westley Road & Risbygate Street Bury St Edmunds Suffolk

Share
6pm 5.5 miles in 45 mins.

Year to date mileage 860

Month to date 51 miles

Average miles per month 104

Average weekly rate 23.9

Weather: Threatening an almighty down pour but rained not a drop.

Course: A bit of a run where I felt like easy 5. I ran along Risbygate Street and Newmarket Road over a set distance which I know is a mile. Without trying to push it I wanted to see average mile times I am running . The first mile I ran 8.05 and the second mile in 8.10.

I am hoping to run close to 8 min miles for my first race since February 2004 which is a 10 miler on the 25th of this month.

On my run along Risbygate Street I pass the houses shown in the photo above. They were originally provided to offer some rent free accommodation for wounded soldiers from the Suffolk Regiment around 1906. This was just after the Boer war in South Africa. Behind the houses on both sides there is countryside . Today there are houses and the row of trees is gone.

My memory of these houses was always a good one as they represented the last deliveries on my paper round as a boy.

The black and white pictures are from a superb collection of photographs known as the Spanton Jarman Collection. The Bury St Edmunds Past and Present society are working on the restoration and storage of these negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark