Sunday, September 25, 2005

Tarpley 10 at Beyton Suffolk

Share












10.30am 10 miles in 1 hour 18 .25 mins

Year to date mileage 932

Month to date 122 miles

Average miles per month 106

Average weekly rate 24.3

Weather: Sunny and dry slight breeze.

Course: From Beyton we headed out through Hessett , Gedding and Drinkstone before returning to Beyton. The course was described as undulating and had some small inclines at 3 miles and between 8 and 10 miles.

The 1st running of a new race organised by the St Edmunds Pacers in memory of the club's late president Bert Tarpley , who died in October last year. For an inaugural race the turn out was quite good I believe around 142 runners took part from a number of clubs including St Edmunds Pacers, Brandon Fernhoppers, Ipswich Jaffa, Herne Hill Harriers, West Norfolk AC,Colchester & Tendering, Stowmarket Striders, Newmarket Joggers, waveney Valley AC, West Suffolk AC,Bilderston Bounders and one representative from Liverpool Harriers who probably came from furthest afield.

This was a very well organised race with car parking close to the start at Beyton School, excellent marshaling, a free shirt and a bag of freebies along with some lots of drinks and food afterwards.

I was pleased with my time I had hoped for under 1.25. I set of a little quick and was surprised to reach the 1st mile marker in 7.22. I stuck in at this point behind runners from Ipswich Jaffa and pretty much run with this group throughout the race. At 5 miles my time was 38.40 and I knew I just had to maintain 8 min mile pacing to get under 1.20. I only felt bad after drinking water at 4 and 7 miles this didn't seem to do me much good.

There were also several junior fun runs which were attended by St Edmunds Pacers.

The geese near the village green are obviously in charge at Beyton, they brought traffic to halt at one point. Love the pumpkins near the car park plenty for Halloween.

I hope this race is run again next year I can thoroughly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark