Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Cullum Road/Ramada Hotel and Newmarket Rd Bury St Edmunds

Share
5.40pm 5.4 miles in 40 minutes 35 seconds.

Week to date mileage 5.4

Month to date mileage 99

Average weekly rate 31.2

Average Monthly rate 136

Weather: cold and dry

I again ran really well tonight and without seemingly putting in any more effort I ran about a minute quicker than my previous quicker time. I just hope running well in training isn't wasted when I race the Joe Cox Stowmarket 10 on Sunday. I have run this event before back in 2004 in 1 hour 20 minutes 26 seconds so that is my target to beat.

Tonight out training I saw 5 women running in small groups of ones and twos but no men. I have to say I have noticed that increasingly if you see runners it tends now to be more likely that it will be women. This is great and I wonder what has been the spark that has encouraged this? I know the local Race for Life races must have had a good effect encouraging the take up of the sport. Nearly half a million women have now taken part in these events and they are well on there way to achieving their target of thre quarters of a million participants.

So popular is the Race for Life event in Bury St Edmunds on the 25th of June 2006 that they know have two races. The first one at 11am is already full but there is a second race at 2.30pm. This isn't unusual for the Race for Life Events they are normally filled to total capacity and then they are turning people away. How many running events apart from the major races such as the London Marathon can say that? This year already events at Cambridge, Colchester Lincoln and Norwich are already fully booked this summer. This is great and perhaps some lessons to be learned from their success for other more traditional road races? Is it simply successful because it is a great cause, it is a short distance or because it is an all women event??

My recent times over this course have been :

7 Mar 41.31
3 Mar 41.34
21 Feb 41.35
27 Jan 41.56
13 Jan 41.30
2 Jan 42.42
23 Dec 43.34
9 Dec 42.0
6 Dec 42.04
29 Nov 42.17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark