Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tokyo Police Club & The Kings Speech - thoughts during a long run

Share
Day 12 of Janathon and the quest to run every day during January. So far so good and I think from reading other blogs that most of the Janathon partcipants are still going strong during week 2.

I am conscious that in the quest to run every day that this can lead to a tendency to just run junk miles IE just doing a few steady miles each day. In itself this is good and will if nothing else build up a good level of stamina and base mileage. However I still want to try and do a couple of quality sessions per week if I can. By this I mean either a long run, an interval pace session or hill training. I think the variety to my training will help me to get through the month hopefully.

Moreton Hall
So today I decided on a long run. My longest last week was 7 so I set out aiming to do just a little more and run 8 miles. The weather has turned really mild but wet and it rained persistently all day. I timed my run to try and avoid the worst of it and there was only a light run when I ran.
I ran well for the first 5 miles but after this I began to slow and negative thoughts about cutting the run short started. However I over came this listening to an episode of Marathon Talk talking about new years resolutions and an event they have set up called Jantastic. This is not the same as Janathon as the rules are different.

Towards the end to keep me going I needed some music and I listened to Tokyo Police Club and my album of the year Champ


 Run completed in 1hr 13mins . 30 seconds so not the quickest of times but pleased to do my longest run of the year.

The previous night we went to Cineworld to see the King's Speech. In my view this is a must see film. It makes a nice change to watch a film that is totally believable and this is achieved obviously because it is based on real history but also because of good acting. So many films are an escapism  and you do have to ride with the film knowing that scenes and events are totally unbelievable.

The film is set in the 1930's when Edward VIII threatens to abdicate from the British throne, his younger brother Bertie played by Colin Firth knows he must overcome his humiliating stammer in order to deliver important war time speeches and rule the country.
Bertie's wife  Elizabeth played by Helena Bonham Carter enlists the services of an Australian speech therapist Lionel Logue played by Geoffrey Rush. This is the main theme of the film the relationship between Bertie and Lionel and it is full of humour.

The cinema was three quarters full and the demographics were markedly an elderly audience. I believe there was only one teenager and there were many walking sticks in use.

I give this film a 9 out of 10

Day 1 - 5 miles
Day 2 - 5 miles
Day 3 - 4 miles
Day 4 - 4 miles
Day 5 - 3 miles
Day 6 - 2.52 miles
Day 7 - 7 miles
Day 8 - 3.5 miles
Day 9 - 2 miles
Day 10 - 4 miles
Day 11 - 4 miles
Day 12 - 8 miles


Total 52 miles



2 comments:

  1. Heard a lot of good things about "King's Speech". Sounds like the kind of movie I'd like to go see, so long as that doesn't qualify me for a "walking stick".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work getting some non-junk miles in. I've been trying to do the same thing, but all the snow in my area keeps getting in the way!

    I plan on seeing "The King's Speech" as soon as it opens in my area. I've always liked Firth, and I'm a terrible history nerd, so it sounds like my kind of film.

    And it's so nice to hear of a fellow Tokyo Police Club fan! They are one of my favorite bands, and Champ was a great album. I hadn't seen the video though, and as the owner of a pool-obsessed dog, I loved it. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark