Monday, December 11, 2006

Whepstead Suffolk

Share
2.30pm 10.2 miles in 1 hr 24 17 secs

Week to date mileage 10.2 miles

Month to date mileage 58

Average weekly rate 30.1 miles

Average monthly rate 131

Year to date 1485

Lifetime 9505

On a cold damp afternoon I traveled out to the village of Whepstead. On the B 1066 it is about 4 miles from Bury St Edmunds. I parked up opposite St Petronilla which is Whepstead's church on a hill. St Petronilla has connections with the old leper hospital of the same name in Bury St Edmunds.

This being my first run in Whepstead I set of in no particular direction taking chance as to what I might come across. I ran down a fairly sharp hill and headed up Pages Hill about as far as Harram Bottom before retracing my steps back into Whepstead past the church and down the Brockley Road. I took the first turning off the road past the Whepstead Hall this too proved to be a dead end and I returned back up hill to the Brockley Road.

The next off road track proved more useful and this took me along besides the River Lark. I followed a serious of paths across wet fields arriving at Gulling Green near Brockley.
I then went on as far as Rushbottom Wood. I then retraced my steps but on my way back in the fading light I took a wrong turning and some how emerged on a road. I realise now on consulting the ordnance survey map that when I emerged on the road I was starting to run in the wrong direction towards Rede. I got as far as Haws Wood and seeing no obvious house lights that I might be going wrong and decided to try running the opposite way.

My running became that much quicker with a slight sense of being lost only because it was becoming dark. I reached a small hamlet and not seeing any obvious place name I knocked on a door and the lady was helpful in confirming that I was heading in the right direction and that I was at Stonecross . I continued on and past through the main village of Whepstead that I had missed originally in the day light .

By getting a little lost I succeeded in running a little further than originally planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark