Sunday, December 24, 2006

Twist Wood Ickworth Park Suffolk

Share


8.30am 11 miles in 1hr 30 mins 38 secs

Week to date mileage 29 miles

Month to date mileage 119

Average weekly rate 30.2 miles

Average monthly rate 131

Year to date 1546

Lifetime 9566

I wore my Inov 8 roclite off road shoes for this run which is mostly off road. The run commences from within town but I quickly reach Horringer Farm crossing over the River Linnett. The farm is on a slope so I have a steady up hill climb of 30 metres from 40 to 70 metres. I cut across the farm to join Westley Lane which takes me into the village of Horringer.

A focal point of the village is the national trust Ickworth Park which is open all year round at least for runners. There is a good choice of runs once in the park but today I decided to visit a wood I haven't been to before called Twist Wood. So I followed the straight main path which takes you to Ickworth House. By following the road you continue past the church and are soon near the Canal Lake. Following the road round to the right you soon come to the White House.

The path now follows the course of the River Linnett. The first path to the left takes up into Twist Wood. There were a number of signs warning of dates when deer culling is undertaken here. There is a big population of deer and I usually see them whenever I visit Ickworth Park and today was no exception. On two occasions I came upon 2 large groups of deer who scattered before I could a good view of them.

I decided to end my run at the ruins of a house in the woods. There must be an interesting storey to this house and what became of it. Returned home in a quicker time by about 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark