Sunday, November 05, 2006

Gt Barton Suffolk

Share

8am 10 miles in 1 hr 23 mins 39 secs

Week to date mileage 36

Month to date mileage 30

Average weekly rate 30.5

Average monthly rate 132

Year to date 1344

Lifetime 9364

The weather is ideal at present for running, cool, bright,weak sunshine days. I decided to venture out towards Gt Barton.

I ran through the centre of Bury St Edmund's along Eastgate Street at the end of which lies the ruins of St Nicholas Hospital. The exact date of build is apparently unknown but seems to be around the 12th century. I must have run past this many a time but only noticed some graffiti in the walls today where someone has carved the date of 1715 in the wall. Whether there is any significance to this date I don't know. It was the year of the Riot Act being passed in England which forbid groups of more than 12 people to congregate on the streets. It was also the year of the Jacobite Rebellion and perhaps a wounded solider in this hospital has carved their name and initials in the wall.

I ran on until I was running alongside the busy A143 road to Gt Barton. Up by the Anglenook Cottages the sugar beet harvest has been piled high beside the road. It was here that I decided to take the Colton's Ride Track. This is a good alternative to running beside the A143 and takes you into Gt Barton arriving at the church of St Holy Innocents.

I carried on along Green Lane to some old cottages with unusual chimneys at Shinham Bridge before retracing my steps home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark