Sunday, May 20, 2007

Rushbrooke Circular Run

Share

8am 12 miles in 1 hr 40 mins 16 secs

Week to date mileage 41 miles

Month to date mileage 77

Average weekly rate 29.5 miles

Average monthly rate 128

Year to date 591

Lifetime 10184

Another beautiful day and I decided to do a long run based on the old Bury 10. However instead of starting from the Bury end of Rushbrooke Lane my start was from home which means I actually run about 2 miles to get to this point.

I run through town, along Cullum Rd and the pick up Rushbrooke Lane. There is a large boarding kennels here and I always feel a bit guilty as I pass as it sets the dogs off barking. I am just glad that so far they have always been locked in preventing me setting a world record along Rushbrooke Lane.

At the top of the lane I turn left at the 1st North Hill Cottage.There is a more direct footpath which is straight on but instead I follow the road on to the 2nd North Hill Cottage. Sticking to the right you pass a small wood planted in 1996 called Amschels Wood.

The road is slightly uphill to take you into the village of Rushbrooke which is dominated by Home Farm and its various cottages.

You pass St Nicholas Church and then head down to the Eastlowhill which is a roman road.
At Eastlow Hill there is a tumulus which is a mound or barrow with a grave. You pass Rushbrooke Lake here which I have fished many a time but not in the last 20 years. I used to cycle out here with fishing rods and a box of maggots and even occasionally fish overnight.

The road becomes the Elderstub Lane and is a pretty lane almost enclosed with overhanging trees . Near Blackthorpe turn left and run past the sewage works and the 2nd North Hill Cottage back to !st North Hill Cottage , down back Rushbrooke Lane and into Bury and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark