Saturday, May 19, 2007

Horsecroft, Nowton and Bury St Edmunds Circular Run

Share
5.30pm 7.8 miles in 1 hr 5 mins 37secs

Week to date mileage 29 miles

Month to date mileage 65

Average weekly rate 29.1 miles

Average monthly rate 127

Year to date 579

Lifetime 10172

This is a good circular run that combines a run through the town centre with part of the Bury to Clare footpath and a run through the hamlets of Horsecroft and Hardwick. I decided to to the run in a clockwise fashion rather than my normal anticlockwise route. So I set of through the town centre and along Cullum Rd out to Nowton Park before taking the Breckley Ley pathway uphill.
At the top of this hill I pick up a pathway heading left to a small minor road before taking the first right pathway across countryside this being the Bury to Clare pathway.
I pass a trig point which is the Hardwick Trig at a height of 84 feet above sea level. This is fairly insignificant but has been chosen as a high point in Suffolk by surveyors. Trig points were a a surveyors tool to provide a reference point for surveying the UK before electronic positioning aids were available (GPS etc).
The trig point is called UKTP2801 or Hardwick.
Lat/long: N 52 13.049 E 0 42.531, Grid ref: TL 85146 61155 .

After this I carry on across a footpath through the middle of a field before reaching the minor road at Horsecroft. I turn right and head back into Bury passing Hardwick on my right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark