Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Bury Town FC

Share


I used to have a very large collection of Bury Town football programmes but in moving house several times I have lost them. So many memories lost but not all forgotten.

Bury are the fourth oldest non league club in England dating back to 1872.

My earliest memory would have been in the mid 1960's when I regularly attended the football ground at Kings Road. The main entrance was here though there was many a time we would climb over the fence in to the ground from Chalk Road. The car park at the back of Cine world is pretty much where the ground would have been.

For many a year I also sold programmes for Bury Town and this got you free entrance plus a small amount of what you sold.

I remember I didn't always watch the games. Often we used to play our own mini football matches. there was plenty of space behind the goal or near the club house. Many people never seemed to emerge from the club house and watch the football.

At half time you could nip out of the ground to the nearby fish and chip shop in Risbygate Street closed now of course. Some times we attended training with the players. My main memory here was practicing throw ins. They used a large medicine ball which seemed to weigh a ton. After you had thrown that a few times throwing a normal ball was easy.

The above programme was typical of the format of Bury programmes for years and years. This is from 1975 but my best memories were from games in the old Metropolitan League. Bury would play all of the London league club A sides from West Ham , Arsenal , Spurs etc

5.45pm 5.4 miles in 42.50

Week to Date mileage 5.4

Month to date mileage 80

Average weekly rate 33.1

Average Monthly rate 144

Weather: Dry cool

Tonights run was an easy circular route around Horringer School,Hospital Road, Cullum Road, Newmarket Road and Home . I was still a little tired from my long run on Sunday and ran a fairly slow time.

My number arrived for the Bungay 20k. I am number 66.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark