Sunday, March 04, 2007

Thurston , Beyton and Hessett Suffolk

Share
8am 10.2 miles in 1 hr 24 mins 49 secs

Week to date mileage 30 miles

Month to date mileage 25

Average weekly rate 29.1 miles

Average monthly rate 127

Year to date 262

Lifetime 9855

For todays run I drove out from Bury St Edmunds to Thurston and parked near to the railway station. I presume what was an old railway station building from the 19th century has now been converted and is flat accommodation.


I immediately headed out of Thurston passing the grounds of Thurston House on the left side of the road. Thurston House will sadly always be linked with the Titanic. Tyrell William Cavendish was married to Julia Florence Siegel in 1906. When they bought Thurston House in 1912 they had made plans to renovate the house. However Mr Cavendish had political ambitions with thoughts of being an MP perhaps for Bury St Edmunds. Looking for funding he decided to visit Henry Siegel who was a multi millionaire on the ill fated Titanic.

Tyrell Cavendish had had uncomfortable premonitions about the voyage and made his will on the day of the voyage. They boarded the Titanic at Southampton and traveled as 1st class passengers. Mrs Cavendish survived along with the maid a Miss Nellie Barber who were rescued in a lifeboat.

Lady Cavendish sold the property without ever living there for a value of £5k.
Tyrell Cavendish Hall was paid for by Lady Cavendish as a memorial to her husband and the village hall is still used by local clubs.

I ran along the Thurston Road under the A14 just before entering the village of Beyton. I ran around Beyton Green and visited both of the local pubs The Bear and the White Horse. Beyton has a true village centre with a large village green with a stream running through the centre and space for sport.


I continued past the White Horse on towards Hessett. After passing Beyton Middle School and the old Post Office now a private dwelling you come to All Saints a round tower church.
I would say less than half a mile further down the road you arrive at St Ethlebert's at Hessett this time a square tower. I took my life in my hands and entered Hessett but I didn't notice any strange children.


After a run around Hessett I returned following the same route back to the outskirts of Thurston and decided to visit the Thurston Planche. A rather grand building in substantial grounds.



I carried on over the railway line along Barrell's Road before returning to Stockhold Green under another railway bridge before heading up to St Peter's Church

I retraced my steps through to the the Thurston Planche and on to the Thurston Road past Thurston House and to my car.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark