Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Push Ups

Share
No run tonight with the paths being so icy. The only place to safely run is probably the roads but I don't fancy that in the dark.

Recently with my on and off injuries I have been thinking seriously about doing some all round exercises to improve my core strength and hopefully toughen up a bit. I have to admit to never really doing much stretching either before or after runs.

So recently I gave it a go just to see how many push ups I could do in one go without stopping and I have to admit this was only 30. I guess after years of not doing push ups probably since school days I just didn't have the body strength to do more.

By coincidence I also took a lot at the latest update on the Ran Yank Run blog and podcast and noticed that he to has mentioned push ups and that he has started a programme which builds you in 6 weeks to being able to do 100 push ups.

I am going to give this a go too as part of an all round programme of exercises to help improve my flexibility, strength and hopefulll reduce the possibility of injury.

The web site I have seen is called 10o push ups and is an excellent site including as it does a complete guide and video to push ups and a push ups logger to record your progress over the 6 weeks. Looking at the video of the push ups I don't think mine were as good form as those demonstrated so I guess I will start again with another test and let you know how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark