Friday, May 22, 2009

Timworth Suffolk

Share




















An out and back run today to Timworth in Suffolk. I am running slowly at the moment and today was no different. My main objective was to do a long run of over 10 miles.

I am trying to include a regular run of over 10 miles in my training schedule every week. I would hope to build the length of my long run up to around 13 miles in the coming weeks perhaps with an autumn half marathon as the plan.

Today I had one eye on the search for a plentiful supply of elderflowers. After watching Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall River Cottage TV Series we were taken by the idea of making some Elderflower Champagne. On the route I ran I didn't see an awful lot of elderflowers and those that I did see were not in full bloom. I am a little early but I guess in a week or two the time will be right to give this a go. From what I can tell you are likely to be more successful in finding elderflowers around more urban areas such as town centre car parks.



















Choosing to run in my lunch time between work meant I was running at 1pm in the best of the sunshine. I listened to a podcast today from the National Archives at Kew. The National Archives is the official archive of the UK Government and if you have an interest in social history or genealogy then you are sure to be interested. The podcast I listened to related to the 2nd World War and one of the most famous escapes made by allied airmen.

During the night of 24 March 1944, 76 airmen escaped from the Prisoner of War camp Stalag Luft III. Only three made it home and, of the remainder, 50 were murdered on Hitler's orders. This podcast explained what actually happened in the so-called Great Escape as compared to the famous film. The film starred Steve McQueen in reality no Americans were involved in the escape attempt as all American pow's had been moved to another camp.




----------------
Now playing: Susan Cadogan - Hurt so Good
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark