Saturday, April 28, 2007

Gt Livermere , Ampton and Troston Suffolk

Share
8am 10 miles in 1 hr 22 mins 21 seconds

Week to date mileage 21 miles

Month to date mileage 117

Average weekly rate 30.1 miles

Average monthly rate 131

Year to date 508

Lifetime 10101

I drove out to the village of Gt Livermere a village about 6 miles North West of Bury St Edmunds. The weather continues to be dry and sunny and we haven't had decent rain since I think February. April is likely to be the hottest on record and it seems every year we keep having weather records broken.

According to Ekwall the meaning of Gt Livermere's name is the lake where rush or iris grew. There is a large memorial to those who fell in the 1st world war which was erected in 1920.
I parked close to the church called St Peter and commenced my run setting of past the large memorial stone around the village before heading past the church.

Gt Livermere is dominated by the large Livermere Park. I entered through an impressive gate house with large pillars. Once in the park it appears to be something of a wildlife sanctuary for birdlife. Every where there is geese not only on the large lake called Broad Waters but all over the estate. The former house of the estate built in 1700 was demolished in the 1920's.
There is evidence of a former glorious estate but from what I can see now this is limited to the gatehouse entrances.

There is a right of way path which takes you through the park emerging at the village of Ampton, where interestingly Ampton House is going strong in Ampton Park.
After a quick run through Ampton I decided to return to Gt Livermere. Looking into the distance at the end of Broad Lake stands a church marked as St Peters Church on the OS map. I decided to set out to visit this.

However this church seems to be on private land and there was no right of way I could see to take me to this church. So I ran back into Gt Livermere before taking a very straight road to the nearby village of Troston.

I visited St Mary's Church an old Wesleyan church (now a chiropodist!) and the old school before returning back again to Gt Livermere to end my run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark