Saturday, March 03, 2007

Sicklesmere, Gt Whelnethum and Stanningfield Suffolk

Share
8am 9.2 miles in 1 hr 15 mins 49 secs

Week to date mileage 20 miles

Month to date mileage 15

Average weekly rate 28.4 miles

Average monthly rate 124

Year to date 252

Lifetime 9845

I drove out from Bury St Edmunds on the A134 road to Sudbury. I stopped at the Rushbrooke Arms at Sicklesmere and parked in their car park.

Behind the Rushbrooke Arms is a path leading to Hawkers Lane and a run over to Rushbrooke however that wasn't my objective to do and I headed back into the village. The Toll House is apparently so named from the 19th century. In the 1830's the stage coach was the key means of transport. There was a 4 times daily coach between London and Norwich via Sudbury which traveled along the Bury Road which is now the A134.


Literally on the other side of the road there is a sign announcing that you are in Gt Whelnetham as Sicklesmere is really a very small hamlet. By contrast Gt Whelnetham is a fairly large village with a concentration of housing and a school. There is also the ruin of a windmill to be seen from the road.


I stopped by the St Thomas a Becket Church in Gt Whelnetham.


Continuing on towards Stanningfield on the right hand side there is the Mill Lane track which leads on to Coldham Hall. Mill Lane was so named as there was a post mill sited here. This was the Stanningfield Post Mill but I could see no evidence of it now though I have read that it was in use up to the 1950's for grinding corn into animal feed.

Arriving in Stanningfield I am always struck by the very attractive multi coloured cottages in Fox Row. There used to be Fox Inn situated here and beer was brewed here.
Continuing into the village of Stanningfield the central point is known as Hoggards Green. Here there is the Red House Pub.


I will post many other photos of these villages on my flickr site in time. I returned home by the same road. I had time to run around Sicklesmere and to venture up Hawkers Lane before returning to the Rushbrooke Arms Car park and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Running in Suffolk

Share/Bookmark